Ballplayers in Love




As I have gotten older, I have started to see art as a medium to convey a message. Visual art has a way of saying everything without saying anything. René Treviño’s piece, Ballplayers in Love, spoke to me immediately. No doubt, Dropping Like Flies, the large pink wall embellished in over 1,000 hand gold-leafed and rhinestoned plastic flies definitely caught my eye. But, Ballplayers in Love told me everything about René Treviño without ever having met him. This piece combines Mayan rituals with humor, an interesting combination. I think this serves to give insight into the human experience and call on the viewers to explore their identities. Treviño’s work is alive; not only can it be seen but it can be felt. Through his work, Treviño expresses themes of identity and challenges traditional ideas of race and sexual orientation. He confronts societal assumptions and gives a voice to the underrepresented with just acrylic and paper. Simply put, it's beautiful. 

- Cierra Thurmond '20 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALLING ALL LOYOLA UNIVERSITY STUDENT ARTISTS!!

Parallels in Para11els

The Art Surrounding Campus