A Deeper Look

This week marks the closing of Stelae by René Triviño.
Because of this I want to take a moment to reflect on the amazing pieces we’ve been seeing.
Specifically my favorite piece of the collection, entitled Embrace 1. 

It is a piece I can clearly see from my seat at the desk and have consequently
spent hours of my time this week studying.
Something about it calls out to me, the way two bodies are entwined and almost look as they are one,
the flow and twist of their bodies, it’s intriguing and I feel I could look at for hours on end.
This time spent looking at the piece has been very beneficial to understanding it and coming to my own
definition of the piece, which to me is the most important thing about art, not only the meaning behind it to
the artist but also the meaning to the viewer. 
Sometimes we are able to resonate with the artists meaning behind the art but sometimes we have such
different life experiences that we can’t resonate with the arts meaning. When this happens it’s important
to think deeper about the art and understand what it means to you. In Stelae we see a group that has not
been recognized in traditional Mesoamerican art finally getting included and getting representation. When
I look at the art I think about the times I’ve felt underrepresented and how good it feels when you finally
feel accepted and feel that sense of belonging. 

What does Stelae make you feel? How does the collection affect you? If you haven’t thought of these
questions while looking at the collection then I urge you to come back through and take a deeper look at Stelae, you might find something you haven't seen before.

-Alana Henson '23

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALLING ALL LOYOLA UNIVERSITY STUDENT ARTISTS!!

Parallels in Para11els

The Art Surrounding Campus