Parallels in Para11els

The gallery is currently displaying Para11els, which includes the various works of art done by senior students. As being one of the students in the show, I thought I may shed some light on what this show really is about. The name Para11els is an interesting one. The class decided on it last minute after really diving into each other's work. There are 11 of us (hence the 11 in place of the l's that should be there), and while each body of work is very different, they are all very similar.

It is funny to me how after working alongside my peers for an entire semester, I only noticed the parallels between each while we discussed installing. The beautiful pieces I had been commenting on over three months all resonated with one another. The biggest parallel is that they are all personal.

Each student put a sense of their personal life in their work, whether it be through illnesses or struggles endured, reflection on life thus far, things they care about on a personal level, or something they have always loved. Each gives the viewer an insight into the life of the artist--something I find very important and meaningful. 

Aside from the personal aspect of each, there are more evident parallels found throughout the show. Portrayals of mental illness, water, eyes, snapshots of life, the human body, and more are evident when you take a walk around the gallery.

I encourage you to come and see these powerful, important parallels for yourself. Can you find more than I just stated? 

-Emma Hagedoorn '20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CALLING ALL LOYOLA UNIVERSITY STUDENT ARTISTS!!

The Art Surrounding Campus